Tuesday, July 28, 2009






Tuesday, July 28, 2009
I rode my bike down to Meadowbrook a little later tonight. It was sunset when I arrived. I changed my anchor point from last night to a spot on the edge of the pond, which was only about 20 feet from where I was previously.
The temperature hit 95 today, and at sunset it was still sweltering hot. I really wanted to jump intot he pond to cool off, but that would be a sure fire way to scare off any wildlife that I was hoping to see.
I sat down on the edge of the pond and poured my self a cup of tea from my thermos. I unloaded my backpack and began paging through some of my field guides in hopes of being able to identify at least one plant or tree. I am pretty sure that I've successfully identified Poison Ivy (pictured). There are a couple other plants and trees that I have photographed but not identified yet.
There was a bit of noise coming from the other end of the pond. I took a walk down there to see what I could see. Fish were jumping out of the water all over the pond. Dragonflies buzzed around everywhere. And then, all of a sudden an animals heads pops up out of the water and starts swimming right toward me. It was a beaver bigger than my dog (I have a 50 lb Staffordshire Bull Terrier). I video taped the beaver swimming around in the pond. Check out the video I have posted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christian--

    Wow, great video. Amazing that you caught a beaver like that--right in the middle of the city.

    Do you think you can also post these to the general course blog? I think you'll get more feedback that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's not poison ivy - the leaves are always in threes. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/toxra.htm

    Did you see last week's heat affecting wildlife at all? Personally, I did all I could do to stay out of the heat, and I suspect some wildlife might be the same - but others might have loved the heat. I wonder if you notice the weather making a difference during your time in the park.

    ReplyDelete